As early as 1365, we find the vineyard referred to under the name of CLOUX DES LAMBREY in the deeds of Citeaux Abbey. In 1789, at the time of the French Revolution, the property was sold and divided between 74 owners and reunited in 1868.
Louis Joly made improvements to this handsome residence built in 1630 and restored the unity of the property DOMAINE DES LAMBRAYS. In 1866 these works are finished by the new owner Albert-Sebastien Rodier (Maison Henri de Bahèzre from Nuits-Saint-Georges) with his grandsons Camille and Albert. Camille has founded the Confrérie des Chevaliers du Tastevin and Albert managed the family estate in Burgundy. The Rodier family ensured an efficient promotion of their Clos des Lambrays.
In 1938 Albert sold the estate to his friend Renée Cosson. Since this moment the estate is “falling in a sleep” like “sleeping beauty” according to Jean-François Bazin.
In 1979, shortly after the death of Renée Cosson, the estate was acquired by Roland de Chambure and the brothers Fabien and Louis Saier. They managed to wake up this “sleeping beauty” by important investments and with the support of the oenologist Thierry Brouin. Still today Thierry Brouin is due to his competencies and passion the guarantor for the quality of the wines from the estate.
On April 27th, 1981 the Clos des Lambrays was promoted by decree to GRAND CRU.
In the end of 1996 Günter and Ruth Freund, a couple of contractors from Coblence in Germany, knowing and appreciating Burgundy since a long time, became the new owners. At that time Günter Freund was already Chevalier du Tastevin over 20 years. In 2002 his wife Ruth became also Chevalier du Tastevin and he was inducted Commandeur.
They restored the Château and his dependences with all their heart and passion and they invested in their vineyards.